Starr County Historical &
Starr County is the
westernmost of the four Rio Grande Valley counties and,
as with Cameron and Hidalgo, the Rio Grande forms its southern
border and the international boundary between the United
States and Mexico. Its western boundary is formed by huge
Falcon Lake and Zapata County. It adjoins Hidalgo County
on the east, with Jim Hogg and Brooks Counties to the north.
Located on the Rio Grande
Plain, almost 90 percent of its surface is upland and rolling,
with a small delta strip along the river. The county comprises
of 1,214 square miles or 776,960 acres.
The county seat is Rio
Grande City, with Roma-Las Saenz the next largest town.
In 1990 the county's population was 40,518.
Starr county was created
out of Nueces County by an act that was passed on February
10, 1848. It was named after Dr. James Harper Starr of the
Republic of Texas. Starr also served as Postmaster General
for the Confederacy. Rio Grande City, formerly known as
Davis' Landing was designated the County Seat.
Much of Starr County
was originally surveyed by Spanish engineers in 1767 and
divided into grants called porciones. Consequently, the
county is not sectionalized but has the survey lines of
the original Spanish grants. It was one of three counties
created in the lower valley of the Rio Grande immediately
after the end of the Mexican War in 1848. Fort Ringold at
Rio Grande City was established in 1848.
In 1929 the first oil
well began producing, and since that time several hundred
wells have been drilled and several oil and gas fields have
been discovered. Throughout the history of the county, livestock
has been the stable means of livelihood for most of the
people. Much of the county is used for range, with some
80,000 acres planted to crops, of which about 30,000 acres
are irrigated. Starr County farms are widely known for their
fine cantaloupes and watermelons, and a fertile strip near
the river produces high quality vegetables. Some cotton
and grain are grown.
Starr County is served
by three international bridges to Mexico--at Rio Grande
City, Roma, and across long Falcon Dam. Falcon Lake on the
border and Sugar Lake nearby in Mexico are favorite spots
for fishing enthusiasts, especially known for their largemouth
bass, crappie and catfish.
Both Rio Grande City
and Roma have many historic sites and buildings. Among these
is the restored La Borde House in Rio Grande City, long
known as the Hotel Ringgold. Roma's old Spanish style plaza
has been transformed into a park-like center with a walkway
overlooking the Rio Grande.
Texas Escapes.com Website
New Photos of Ft. Ringgold and Rio Grande City
for Links to Photos/Information on Rio Grande City, Roma
and other areas.
Return to Home Page
This page was
last updated on -02/14/2022