Starr County Communities
- A supply point and cotton
ginning center in the 1930's. It slowly disappeared
as farming activities diminished. Located in the northeastern
part of the county, south of San Isidro.
- Although this was not
an official town, it signified the earliest known Spanish
settlement in Starr county. This mission was established
in 1751 by Jose de Escandon and was located just north
of present-day Camargo, Mexico.
- A rural community whose
name means "White Houses"
- Formerly known as Zaragoza.
It's Name was changed in 1931. An early settler, Niceforo
G. Peņa named the town by combining the initials of
his seven sons.
- Located between Delmita
and San Isidro, it flourished during the 1930's. It
was founded by Trinidad M. Valverde at a well known
highway intersection and established a grocery store
and gas station, as well as install electricity and
- Serves as a supply center
for area ranches. Located northwest of Rio Grande City.
- Located adjacent to
Roma. It was named for local land owners, the Escobares
- This village is located
near the headquarters of the Falcon Dam State Park.
It was established in 1949. An older town, "Old
Falcon" was submerged when the lake was formed
Texas which is south west of Roma is a fairly
large and historic community of over 500 people.
Originally along the banks of the river it was called
San Francisco De Las Playas and due to a flood in the
1800's it was moved to the upper banks and is now known
as Fronton, or the slang name LACHA. Families
there are direct descendants of founders of Mier and
have lived there for several generations.
- Located about half way
between Rio Grande City and Roma. It was named for an
early settler and can trace it's beginnings back to
- Established in 1839
by Mier and Camargo Mexico settlers, Ramon Garcia and
family. Formerly known as "Los Garcias de Abajo"
- Named after John
Peter Kelsey, an early Starr county settler who
arrived in 1849. Also known as Kelsey Bass Camp
and located in the northeastern part of the county.
It was established by the Humble Oil Company for
it's employees. It was abandoned by the early 1960's.
- This small community
is located just to the east of Rio Grande City,
and northwest of Garciasville.
- Located in the northeast
part of the county about 5 miles west of San Isidro,
this small community also serves as a supply center
for area ranches.
- This community whose
name means "The Crane", was named after
the large birds that migrate through the area. At
one time it occupied both sides of the Rio Grande.
- This ghost town
is located about 5 miles north of El Sauz and was
the center for the ranch by the same name. It was
founded by settlers from Mier, Mexico and was named
after the broom grass that grew in the area.
- This rural community
also has it's "old" counterpart which
was submerged when Falcon Lake was formed. Apparently
it was named after a family named "Lopez".
- This town was founded
prior to 1767 and is part of the Roma-Los Saenz
as it is often called. It is named after the Saenz
family, grantees of land in this area.
- A station on the
Rio Grande City railroad. "Olmos" means
- The county seat
and largest city in the county. It was incorporated
in 1850. It was formerly known as Davis' Landing
and was named after Henry Clay Davis, an early settler
who married in the wealthy de la Garza Family and
acquired land through his wife. In 1848 he sold
land that was used for the Fort Ringgold barracks,
as well as town lots. The earlier ranching settlement
at this location was Carnestolendas which was founded
in 1767 by Francisco de la Garza Martinez
- Located north of
Rio Grande City on Hwy. 755
- This site saw activity
as early as 1751, when a mission was built for the
Oblates of Mary Immaculate Missionaries. It was
previously known as Garcia Ranch. It is unclear
as to how it got it's name. There are two general
theories; one that it was named after Rome, the
city of Italy, another that is was named after a
Major Roman, a Mexican war hero. It may also have
had something to do with it's Mexican counter-part,
Miguel Aleman located just across the border, and
also known as San Pedro de Roma.
- Another farming
community located between Rio Grande City and Roma.
- Located in the southwest
part of the county. Apparently named after a family
named "Salinas". Dates back to at least
the mid 1800's.
- San Isidro
- This town is situated
in the northwest portion of the Santa Cruz Grant
and the northwest part of the county. This area
of the grant was marked with a stone naming it "El
Lindero de San Isidro".
- A station on the
Rio Grande Railroad.
- Located north of
Rio Grande City on Hwy. 755 in the northern part
of the county.
- Located on Hwy.
649 north of El Sauz. Named for the large quantity
of "Snakes" in the area.
- A farming community
located west of Rio Grande City on Hwy. 83.
- See Delmita
Return to Home Page
was last updated on -01/01/2013